Things to do in San Francisco
Spend the day at Fisherman's Wharf, cross the famous Golden Gate Bridge, explore Alcatraz, and much more. Check out our list of things to do in San Francisco during your stay, and start planning your northern California adventure right away.
- Fisherman's Wharf, 17 mi- Located on Pier 39, this festive waterfront marketplace is a must-see when visiting San Francisco. Historical tours and the city's freshest seafood are found here. Be entertained by mimes and magicians lining the streets during the day, and live music and dancing at night.
- Alcatraz, 16.6 mi - Famously known as "The Rock," this former prison housed many of the United States' most notorious criminals. Take a fascinating tour through the building and grounds and see for yourself how no prisoner was able to successfully escape from Alcatraz.
- Golden Gate Bridge, 20.1 mi - Drive or walk across one of the most photographed structures on Earth. The 75-year-old Golden Gate Bridge spans 1.7 miles and supports approximately 120,000 passing cars per day.
- Union Square, 15 mi - Union Square provides the ultimate shopping experience for the serious shopper. From major department stores, designer boutiques and the largest Bloomingdale's outside of New York, Union Square has something for everyone.
- Cable Cars, 14.1 mi - Since the 19th Century, cable cars have been transporting people through the city of San Francisco. The cable cars run on tracks that are moved by underground cables. Explore the city and experience a part of history for only $5.
- North Beach, 16.7 mi - North Beach is not a beach at all; it's a neighborhood of romantic European-style sidewalk cafes, restaurants and shops centered near Washington Square along Columbus and Grant avenues.
- San Francisco Dining, 14.1 mi - San Francisco is said to be America's best dining city. San Francisco chefs are known for combining local ingredients, international flavors, and creative genius. Choose from Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, Spanish, Moroccan, Indian, Malaysian, Mexican, Greek, Russian or “fusion,” a combination of any or all of these influences.
Explore the San Mateo County/Silicon Valley Convention & Visitors Bureau's website for more inspiration on fun things to do in San Mateo County.